The Benefits of Eating Catfish
It is recommended that you eat seafood 2-3 times a week for a healthy diet. Catfish, in particular, is low in calories and a great way to boost your intake of healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Catfish is a complete protein, providing you with all of the amino acids your body needs in a day. That helps your body to build lean muscle mass and also improves the effectiveness of your immune function. This tasty fish can provide you with nearly half of the recommended daily intake of vitamin B-12 too.
Fun Catfish Facts
Now that you know a little bit about how healthy eating catfish can be, here are a few intriguing facts that you might be interested to know.
- Catfish are meat-eaters, dining on things like other fish, insects, worms, frogs, and newts.
- Wild catfish are bottom feeders, but farm-raised catfish are taught to eat feed pellets that float on top of the water.
- Catfish can have over 100,000 taste buds located not just in their mouth, but all over their body!
- The greatest concentration of their sensory organs is located on the cat-like whiskers known as barbels, and catfish can develop up to 4 pairs of these.
- Females lay eggs, but it's the male that takes care of the eggs and the young fish.
- "Noodling" is the act of placing your arm inside a catfish hole and catching the fish when it puts its mouth around your bare hand. (Would you ever try this?)
- Some say monster-sized catfish live below Bagnell Dam. What do you think?
Catfish at the Boot
You will find our first catfish dish on the Down Home Sandwich menu of our Lake of the Ozarks family restaurant - the Catfish BLT. The catfish is prepared by coating it in our seasoned cornmeal before frying it to a golden brown perfection. It is served on a hoagie along with hickory-smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, and savory chipotle mayo. It comes with your choice of one of our scrumptious homestyle side dishes.
We also have a fantastic Catfish Dinner. This plate consists of two amazing southern-fried catfish fillets served with tartar sauce for dipping. It is accompanied by a big slice of Texas toast and your choice of one of our homestyle side dishes.
Catfish is always a mouthwateringly good meal choice, especially the way we make it here at our Lake of the Ozarks BBQ restaurant. Use National Catfish Month as the perfect excuse to head on into Wobbly Boots BBQ and order these incredible menu items. After August, simply come back because they taste so darn good!
4717 Osage Beach Parkway
Osage Beach, MO 65065